verb (jett, i, ed)
- (architecture) A part of a building that jets or projects beyond the rest, and overhangs the wall below.
- A wharf or pier extending from the shore.
- (Hydraulic engineering): A structure of wood or stone extended into the sea to influence the current or tide, or to protect a harbor; a mole; as, the Eads system of jetties at the mouth of the Mississippi River.
adjective (jettier, jettiest)
- (context, obsolete, intransitive) To jut out; to project.
- (archaic) Made of jet, or like jet in color.
- 1885: She raised her face veil ... showing two black eyes fringed with lashes, whose glances were soft and languishing and whose perfect beauty was ever blandishing " Sir Richard Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night, vol. 1
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for jetty for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of jetty