- A happening or occurring; an occurrence; an occasion.
verb (instanc, ing)
- This has happened in three instances.
- A case occurring; a case offered as an exemplification or a precedent; an example; a token.
- It was the only in which a direct copy, even to matters of detail, appeared to have been made.
- (obsolete) A piece of evidence; proof.
- (computing) In object-oriented programming: a created object, one that has had memory allocated for local data storage; an instantiation of a class
Etymology: From French, instance.
- (transitive) To mention as a case or example; to refer to; to cite; as, to instance a fact.
- (intransitive) To cite an example as proof; to exemplify.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for instance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of instance