- A unit of length equal to one-twelfth of a foot and equivalent to exactly 2.54 centimetres.
- (meteorology) The amount of water which would cover a surface to the depth of an inch, used as a measurement of rainfall.
- (figuratively) A very short distance.
verb (inch, es)
- "Don't move an !"
- (intransitive, followed by a preposition) To move very slowly (in a particular direction).
Etymology: Old English ynce, from Latin uncia "twelfth part".
- Fearful of falling, he inched along the window ledge.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for inch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of inch