- A day on which a festival, religious event, or national celebration is traditionally observed.
- A day declared free from work by the government.
- A period of one or more days taken off work by an employee for leisure.
- A period taken off work or study for travel.
- An unintentional gap left on a plated, coated, or painted surface.<ref>Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/holiday (accessed: June 26, 2007).</ref>
(trans-top, to take a period of time away from work or study)
- To take a period of time away from work or study.
- To spend a period of time for travel.
Etymology: holy + day
- Finnish: lomailla
(trans-top, to spend a period of time for travel)
- Finnish: matkustella
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for holiday for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of holiday