- (uncountable) Action given to provide assistance; aid.
verb (helps, helping, helped or (archaic) holp, helped or (archaic) holpen)
- I need some with my homework.
- (singularonly) A person or persons who provide assistance with some task.
- He was a great to me when I was moving house.
- (countable) A person employed to help in the maintenance of a house.
- The is coming round this morning to clean.
- (transitive) To provide assistance to (someone or something).
- He helped his grandfather cook breakfast.
- (transitive) To contribute in some way to.
- The white paint on the walls helps make the room look brighter.
- (intransitive) To provide assistance.
- She was struggling with the groceries, so I offered to .
- (transitive) To avoid; to prevent; to refrain from; to restrain (oneself). Usually used in the negative with can.
- We couldn"t noticing that you were late.
- We couldn"t but notice that you were late.
- She"s trying not to smile, but she can"t herself.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for help for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of help