- A number of things or persons being in some relation to one another.
- There is a of houses behind the hill.
- A of people gathered in front of the Parliament to demonstrate against the Prime Minister's proposals.
- He left town to join a Communist
- (grouptheory) A set with an associative binary operation, under which there exists an identity element, and such that each element has an inverse.
- A (usually small) group of people who perform music together.
- Did you see the new jazz ?
- (astronomy) A small number (up to about fifty) of galaxy, galaxies that are near each other.
- (chemistry) A column in the periodic table of chemical elements.
- (chemistry) A functional entity consisting of certain atoms whose presence provides a certain property to a molecule, such as the methyl group.
- (sociology) A subset of a culture or of a society.
- (military) An air force formation.
- (geology) A collection of formations or rock strata.
- (computing) In the Unix operating system, a number of users with same rights with respect to accession, modification, and execution of files, computers and peripherals.
Etymology: From groupe.
- (transitive) To put together to form a group.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for group for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of group