- (given name, female, )
- (given name, male, ). Sometimes a shortened form of Gabriel.
- An English surname.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Gay for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Gay
adjective (er, more)
- (especially in plural or attributive) a homosexual, especially a male homosexual; see also lesbian.
- (dated) happy, Happy, joyful, and lively.
Etymology: From gai, of uncertain origin. Possibly from gaudium "joy". (w:Friedrich Christian Diez, Friedrich Christian Diez has suggested that it comes from (MHG.). The sense of "homosexual" is said by some to have come from an Arabic word via French; it is also said to come from the word's older sense of "dissolute".) The sense of "upright", used in reference to a dog"s tail, probably derives from the "happy" sense of the word.
- 1810: Samuel Johnson, The Life of Thomas Yalden." The Works of the English Poets from Chaucer to Cowper; including the Series Edited with Prefaces, Biographical and Critical, by Dr. Samuel Johnson: and the Most Approved Translations, Alexander Chalmers, editor, ed; 21 volumes, London, C. Wittingham, 1810
- : Never was there a more copious fancy or greater reach of wit than what appears in Dr. Donne; nothing can be more gallant or genteel than the poems of Mr. Waller; nothing more or sprightly than those of sir John Suckling; and nothing fuller of variety and learning than Mr. Cowley"s.
- (dated) festive, Festive, bright, or colourful.
- Don we now our apparel " (Deck the Halls http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/deck_the_halls.htm)
- Pennsylvania Dutch include the plain folk and the folk.
- homosexual, Homosexual.
- (colloquial) Characteristic of homosexual appearance or behavior (often in a stereotypical sense).
- 2005: Jason Christopher Hartley, Just Another Soldier: a year on the ground in Iraq
- : This incident has become a source of much discussion, and the jury is still out on who is more gay: the guy who touched a dick or the guy who let a guy touch his dick. One could write volumes about the homophobically homoerotic undercurrents in the infantry.
- feminine, Feminine in behavior, or, non-masculine, behaving in a way associated with females.
- (context, slang, pejorative) Used to express dislike: lame, Lame, uncool.
- 2000, Nancy Updike, http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/09/14/gaygaygay/index.html That's So Gay, Salon
- : You or someone you know has declared something gay in the last week. Not gay as in homosexual, but gay in that grade-school "That is so gay!" way, i.e. lame, wrongheaded, queer in the original sense. This is happening all around you. That woman"s hairdo? Gay. That book jacket? Gay. The fact that Dick and Lynne Cheney won"t talk about their lesbian daughter? Gay .
- This game is , let"s play a different one. = I dislike this game, let"s play a different one.
- (context, of a dog's tail) upright, Upright or curved over the back.
- 1997: Michael DeVine?, Border Collies
- : While the dog in concentrating at a given task, the tail is carried low and used for balance. In excitement it may rise level with the back. A "" tail is a fault.
- 2000: David Leavitt, Martin Bauman; or, a Sure Thing
- : By now Nora had left my side and was grappling with Maisie, trying to hold her still long enough to examine her bit. "You haven"t trained her well," she muttered to Eli. "Oh, she"s got a tail!" Eli laughed. "A tail? What does that mean?" "It curls upward." Nona let Maisie go. "Still, you never intended her to be a show dog," she added. brushing off her skirt as she made for the house.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gay for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of gay