- A gas or vapour/vapor that smells strongly or is dangerous to inhale. Fumes are solid particles formed by condensation from the gaseous state, e.g. metal oxides from volatised metals. They can flocculate and coalesce. Their particle size is between 0.1 and 1 micron.(A micron is one millionth of a metre)
verb to fume
- Don't stand around in there with breathing the fumes while the adhesive cures.
- A material that been vaporized from the solid state to the gas state and re-coalesced to the solid state.
- Emit fumes.
- Expose something (especially wood) to ammonia fumes in order to produce dark tints.
- To feel or express great anger.
- He's still fuming about the argument they had yesterday.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fume for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of fume