verb (freezes, freezing, froze or rarely frore, frozen or rarely froren)
- A period of intensely cold weather.
- (curling) A precise draw weight shot where a delivered stone comes to a stand-still against a stationary stone, making it nearly impossible to knock out.
- (finance) A block on pay rises
- (intransitive) To drop to a temperature below zero degrees celsius, where water turns to ice.
- It didn't this winter, but last winter was very harsh.
- (context, intransitive, informal) To be very cold.
- It's freezing in here!
- (intransitive) Especially of a liquid, to become solid due to low temperature.
- The pond has frozen over.
- Vodka won't in there, but beer will.
- (transitive) To lower something's temperature to the point that it freezes or becomes hard.
- Don't meat twice.
- (intransitive) To become motionless.
- The squirrel froze when it saw the hawk overhead.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for freeze for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of freeze