noun (plural frays)
- Affray; broil; contest; combat; brawl; melee.
- "Into the Fray"
- to unravel. Used particularly for the edge of something made of cloth, or the end of a rope.
- The ribbon frayed at the cut end.
- (figurative) to cause exhaustion, wear out (a person's mental strength)
- The stressful day ended in frayed nerves. (Metaphorical use; nerves are visualised as strings)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fray for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of fray