- The layout of a document.
- (hence) The form of presentation of something.
verb (format, t, ing)
- The radio station changed the of its evening program.
- (computing) A file type.
- To create or edit the layout of a document.
- Change a document so it will fit onto a different type of page.
- (computing) To prepare a mass storage medium for initial use, erasing any existing data in the process.
Etymology: Via and , from liber formatus, fÅrmÄtus "book fashioned" < formo, fÅrmÅ "I shape, fashion"
- I lost weeks of work when I inadvertently formatted my hard drive.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for format for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of format