- A loose filmy mass or a thin chiplike layer of anything; a film; flock; lamina; layer; scale; as, a flake of snow, paint, or fish.
- A person who is flighty, unreliable or impractical.
verb (flakes, flaking, flaked)
- She makes pleasant conversation, but she's kind of a when it comes time for action.
- To break or chip off in a flake.
- The paint flaked off after only a year.
- (colloquial) To prove unreliable or impractical; to abandon or desert, to fail to follow through.
- He said he'd come and help, but he flaked.
- To store an item such as rope in layers
- The line is flaked into the container for easy attachment and deployment.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for flake for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of flake