- hand with the fingers clenched or curled inward
- The boxer's fists rained down on his opponent in the last round.
- (printing) the pointing hand symbol
- (ham radio) the characteristic signaling rhythm of an individual telegraph or continuous wave, CW operator
- to strike with the fist
Etymology: (webster)From Old English fyst, fÈst. Cognate with w:Dutch language, Dutch vuist, w:Old High German, Old High German fÅst, w:German language, German faust, and probably to w:Latin, Latin pugnus, w:Greek language, Greek fist, with the fist. Compare with pugnacious, pigmy.
- ...may not score a point with his open hand(s), but may score a point by fisting the ball. Damian Cullen. "Running the rule." The Irish Times 18 Aug 2003, pg. 52.
- to fist-fuck
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fist for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of fist