- (uncountable) The person or thing in the first position.
- (uncountable) The first gear of an engine.
- (countable) something that has never happened before; a new occurrence
- This is a . For once he has nothing to say.
- (context, countable, British, colloquial) A first-class honours degree.
- (context, countable, baseball) first base
- There was a close play at .
Etymology: (term, fyrst, lang=ang)
- Having no predecessor. The ordinal number corresponding to one.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for first for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of first