noun (famil, ies, -)
- (countable) a father, mother and their sons and daughters; also called nuclear family
- "Her nuclear family was very small."
- (countable) a group of people related by blood, marriage, law, or custom
- (countable) a kin, tribe; also called extended family
- (context, countable, biology, taxonomy) A rank in the classification of organisms, below order and above genus; a taxon at that rank
- Magnolias belong to the Magnoliaceae.
- (countable) a group of people who live together
- "This is my fraternity family at the university."
- (countable) a group of people similar to (2)
- "Our company is one big happy family."
- (uncountable) collectively, people who are members of one's intimate social group
- They treated me like family.
- (countable) music: a group of instrument having the same basic method of tone production "the brass family" "the violin family"
- (countable) linguistics: a group of languages believed to have descended from the same ancestral language "the Indo-European language family" "the Ural-Altaic language family"
- related to the family
Etymology: familia, from famula, servant
- The dog was kept as a pet.
- For Apocynaceae, this type of flower is a family characteristic.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for family for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of family