verb (escalates, escalating, escalated) (transitive and intransitive)
- to increase (something) in extent or intensity; to intensify or step up
Etymology: (back-form, escalator)
- Violence escalated during the election.
- The shooting escalated the existing hostility.
- in technical support, to transfer a telephone caller to the next higher level of authority
- The tech 1 escalated the caller to a tech 2.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for escalate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of escalate