adjective (earli, er)
- At a time in advance of the usual or expected event.
adverb (earli, er)
- At eleven, we went for an lunch.
- She began reading at an age.
- His mother suffered an death.
- arrive, Arriving a time before expected; sooner than on-time.
- You're today! I don't usually see you before nine o'clock.
- The guests sipped their punch and avoided each other's eyes.
- Near the start or beginning.
- ''The play "Two Gentlemen of Verona" is one of Shakespeare's works.
- At a time before expected; sooner than usual.
Etymology: From erli, írlice, rlÄce, from írOld English, r (before) + the adverbial suffix -lÄce.
- ''We finished the project an hour sooner than scheduled, so we left .
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for early for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of early