- A graduated, circular scale over which a needle moves to show a measurement (such as speed).
- A clock face.
- A sundial.
- A panel on a radio etc showing wavelengths or channels; a knob that is turned to change the wavelength etc.
- A disk with finger holes on a telephone; used to select the number to be called.
Etymology: Its original meaning was 'sundial' and/or 'clock dial', from Latin diÄlis = "daily", "concerning the day", because of its use in telling the time of day.
- (transitive) To measure or indicate something with a dial.
- (transitive) To control or select something with a dial
- (transitive) To select a number, or to call someone, on a telephone.
- (intransitive) To use a dial or a telephone.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dial for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dial