- That which is devised, or formed by design; a contrivance; an invention; a project; a scheme; often, a scheme to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
- His is against Babylon, to destroy it. --Jer. li. 11.
- Their recent of demanding benevolences. --Hallam.
- He disappointeth the devices of the crafty. --Job v. 12.
- (linguistics) Power of devising; invention; contrivance.
- I must have instruments of my own . --Landor.
- (heraldry) An emblematic design, generally consisting of one or more figures with a motto, used apart from heraldic bearings to denote the historical situation, the ambition, or the desire of the person adopting it. See cognizance.
- a motto, emblem, or other mark used by Knights-errant to distinguish themselves from others. If a motto affixed to the arms, it usually had some punning allusion to his name. A device differed from a badge or cognizance primarily because as it was a personal distinction, and not a badge borne by members of the same house successively.
- (context, heraldry, colloquial) Improperly, an heraldic bearing.
- Knights-errant used to distinguish themselves by devices on their shields. --Addison.
- A banner with this strange - Excelsior. --Longfellow.
- (obsolete) A spectacle or show.
- (obsolete) Opinion; decision.
- (colloquial) Any piece of equipment, mechanical or electric; a hosehold appliance.
- There are a number of household devices in a kitchen such as a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, or an electric can opener, etc.
- (context, electrical engineering) An item intended to carry, or help carry, but not utilize electrical energy; an electronic device.
- (computing) Equipment which forms part of a computer system, such as a hard drive, a printer, or a video card.
- An image used in whole or part as a trademark or service mark.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for device for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of device