- Loss of hope; utter hopelessness; complete despondency.
- He turned around in despair, aware that he was not going to survive
- That which is despaired of.
- (transitive) To give up as beyond hope or expectation; to despair of (obsolete).
- (transitive, obsolete) To cause to despair.
- (intransitive, often with "of") To be hopeless; to have no hope; to give up all hope or expectation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for despair for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of despair