noun (deput, ies)
- One appointed as the substitute of another, and empowered to act for him, in his name or his behalf; a substitute in office; a lieutenant; a representative; a delegate; a vicegerent; as, the deputy of a prince, of a sheriff, of a township, etc.
- (in France): A member of the Chamber of Deputies, formerly called Corps Législatif
- (Ireland) a member of Dí¡il í�ireann, or the title of a member of Dí¡il í�ireann. (Normally capitalised in both cases)
Etymology: député, from deputatus (appointed).
- Eamon Ryan is a Deputy in the Dí¡il.
- At today's meeting, Deputy Ryan will speak on local issues.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for deputy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of deputy