- One who relies on another for support
- With two children and an ailing mother, she had three dependents in all ... (In British English, this meaning is spelt dependant.)
- (grammar) An element in phrase or clause structure that is not the head. Includes complements modifiers and determiners.
- (Greek grammar) the aorist subjunctive form of a verb; or non-past, perfective form of a verb
- Relying upon; depending upon
Etymology: Originally (term, dependant), from (term, dépendant), past participle of (term, dépendre, , to hang down) (in English assimilated to (term, dependentem, dÄpendÄntem)).
- At that point I was on financial aid for my tuition.
- (of certain Irish irregular verbs): standing only after a preverbal particle
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dependent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dependent