- A very kind, loving person.
adjective (dearer, dearest)
- My niece is such a , she's always drawing me pictures.
Etymology: (term, dere, lang=enm), from (term, deore, dÄore, lang=ang). Confer Dutch (term, duur, , costly, lang=nl), German (term, teuer, , dear, lang=de) Swedish (term, dyr, , expensive, lang=sv).
- love, Loved; lovable.
- High in price; expensive.
- precious, Precious to or greatly valued by someone.
- A formal way of addressing somebody at the beginning of a letter.
- A formal way of addressing somebody one likes or regards kindly.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dear