- (singular) Time when coldness, darkness, or stillness is most intense.
verb (dead, ed)
- The of night. The of winter.
- (plural) Those who have died.
- Have respect for the .
- (transitive) to prevent by disabling; stop
adjective (er, est)
- 1826: The Whole Works of the Right Rev. Edward Reynolds, Lord Bishop of Norwich, collected by Edward Reynolds, Benedict Riveley, and Alexander Chalmers. pp. 227. London: B. Holdsworth.
- : "What a man should do, when finds his natural impotency him in spiritual works"
- (notcomp) Not alive; lacking life; no longer living.
- All of my grandparents are .
- (notcomp) (italbrac, Of another person) So hated by that they are absolutely ignored.
- He is to me.
- (notcomp) Fully and completely motionless.
- Come to a stop.
- Without emotion.
- She stood with face and limp arms, unresponsive to my plea.
- (notcomp) (italbrac, Of a machine, device, or electrical circuit) Completely inactive; without power.
- Ok, the circuit"s . Go ahead and cut the wire.
- Now that the motor"s you can reach in and extract the spark plugs.
- (notcomp) broken, Broken or inoperable.
- That monitor is ; don"t bother hooking it up.
- (notcomp) obsolete, Obsolete or no longer used or required.
- There are several laws still on the books regulating where horses may be hitched.
- Is this beer glass ?
- (notcomp) (sports) Not in play.
- Once the ball crosses the foul line, it"s .
- (notcomp) (context, baseball, slang) An 1800s baseball term meaning a player who is tagged out.
- exact, Exactly right.
- He hit the target in the centre.
- (slang) very, Very, absolutely, extremely, suddenly.
- She"s sexy.
- He"s stupid.
- I"m tired.
- That"s sure!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dead for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dead