- A period of 24 hours.
- The period from midnight to the following midnight. There are 7 days in a week: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Rotational period of a planet (especially earth).
- The part of a day period which one spends at one"s job, school, etc.
Etymology: Via < díÄ < (proto, Germanic, dagaz) < (proto, Indo-European, dhegh-, to burn). Not related to Latin dies (< (proto, Indo-European, dyeu-, to shine)), but rather to Sanskrit dÄhas "heat" < (proto, Indo-European, dhegh-, to burn). Cognates include Swedish and Dutch dag and German Tag "day".
- I worked two days last week.
- Part of a day period between sunrise and sunset where one enjoys daylight, daytime.
- and night.
(rfex, also for the last)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for day for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of day