noun (dair, ies)
- place, often on a farm, where milk is processed and turned into products such as butter and cheese
- a shop selling dairy products
- (also dairy products or dairy produce) products produced from milk.
- a corner-store, superette or 'mini-mart' of some description.
Etymology: Origin 1250-1300, from daierie equivalent to daie, deie (dairymaid, from dge ,bread maker or bread kneader, see dheigh- in Indo-European roots), comparable with deigja + Anglo-Norman -erie (place) (from , see -ery)
- referring to products produced from milk.
- referring to the milk production and processing industries
- on food labelling, containing fats only from dairy sources (e.g. dairy ice cream)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dairy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dairy