- A group or doctrine with religious, philosophical or cultural identity sometimes viewed as a sect, often existent on the margins of society.
- devotion, Devotion to a saint.
- A group that exploits members psychologically and/or financially, typically by making members comply with leadership's demands through certain types of psychological manipulation, popularly called mind control, and through the inculcation of deep-seated anxious dependency on the group and its leaders.
Etymology: From (term, culte, lang=fr), (term, cultus, , care, adoration, lang=la), or (term, colo, lang=la), (term, colere, lang=la), (term, colui, lang=la), (term, cultum, , to cultivate, lang=la).
- Of, or relating to a cult.
- Enjoyed by a small, loyal group.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cult for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of cult