noun (cri, es)
- A shedding of tears.
verb (cr, i, ed)
- After we broke up, I retreated to my room for a good cry.
- A shout or scream.
- I heard a cry from afar.
- Words shouted or screamed.
- a battle cry
- (context, collectively) A group of hounds.
- (intransitive) To shed tears; to weep.
Etymology: From crier, compare Latin quiritare "to raise a plaintive cry", "scream", "shriek", perhaps queri "to complain"; compare Sanskrit cvas "to pant", "hiss", "sigh". Compare quarrel a brawl, querulous.
- That sad movie always makes me .
- (intransitive) To shout, scream, yell.
- The captured bear cub tried to out to its mother.
- (transitive) To shout, scream (words).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cry for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of cry