- A reward of victory or a mark of honor.
- A royal, imperial or princely headdress; a diadem.
- A representation of such a headdress, as in heraldry; it may even be that only the image exists, no physical crown, as in the case of the kingdom of Belgium; by analogy such crowns can be awarded to moral persons that don't even have a head, as the mural crown for cities in heraldry
- A wreath or band for the head.
- Imperial or regal power.
- The topmost part of the head.
- The highest part a hill.
- The top part of a hat.
- The raised centre of a road.
- The highest part of an arch.
- Splendor, finish, culmination.
- Any currency (originally) issued by the crown (regal power) and often bearing a crown (headdress)
- Specifically, a former British coin worth five shillings.
- (botany) The part of a plant where the root and stem meet.
- (anatomy) The part of a tooth above the gums.
- (dentistry) A prothestic covering for a tooth.
- (nautical) A knot formed in the end of a rope by tucking in the strands to prevent them from unravelling
- (nautical) The part of an anchor where the arms and the shank meet
- To place a crown on the head of.
- To formally declare (someone) a king or emperor.
- To declare (someone) a winner.
- (medicine) Of a baby, during the birthing process; for the surface of the baby's head to appear in the vaginal opening.
- The mother was in the second stage of labor and the fetus had just crowned, prompting a round of encouragement from the midwives.
- (context, gaming) To shoot an opponent in the back of the head with a shotgun in a first-person shooter video game.
- (context, board games) In checkers, to stack two checkers to indicate that the piece has become a king.
- "Crown me!" I said, as I moved my checker to the back row.
- Of, related to, or pertaining to a crown.
Etymology: From (term, corona, lang=la, , wreath)
- Of, related to, pertaining to the top of a tree or trees.
- a fire
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crown for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of crown