- Influence or authority over.
verb (control, l, ing)
- The government has complete over the situation.
- A separate group or subject in an experiment against which the results are compared where the primary variable is low or nonexistence.
- The method and means of governing the performance of any apparatus, machine or system, such as a lever, handle or button.
- A security mechanism, policy, or procedure that can counter system attack, reduce risks, and resolve vulnerabilities, synonymous with safeguard and counter-measure.
- To exercise influence over, to suggest or dictate the behavior of.
Etymology: Middle English controllen, borrowed from Middle French contreroller, 'check against a duplicate account', from Medieval Latin contrarotulare, from contra 'opposite' + rotula 'roll, little wheel'.
- With a simple remote, he could the toy truck.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for control for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of control