verb (comprises, comprising, comprised)
- To be made up of; to consist of.
Etymology: From compris (past participle of comprendre).
- The whole comprises the parts.
- The parts are comprised by the whole.
- To include, to contain.
- This box comprises all my belongings.
- (informal, traditionally considered incorrect) To compose. See usage note below.
- A team is comprised of its members.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for comprise for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of comprise