verb (compar, ing)
- (transitive) To assess the similarities (between two things "to compare X and Y" or between one thing and another "to compare X with Y". Having made the comparison with X, one might have found it similar to X or different from X.
- Astronomers have compared comets to dirty snowballs
- Compare the tiger's coloration with that of the zebra
- You can't compare my problems and yours
- (transitive)(grammar) To form the three degrees of comparison of (an adjective).
- We compare good as good, better, best
- (intransitive) To be similar (often used in the negative)
- A sapling and a fully-grown oak tree do not compare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for compare for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of compare