- (context, currency) A piece of currency, usually metallic and in the shape of a disc, but sometimes polygonal, or with a hole in the middle.
- 1883: w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- : ...the coins were of all countries and sizes - doubloons, and louis d'ors, and guineas, and pieces of eight...
- A token used in a special establishment like a casino (also called a chip).
- One of the suits of minor arcana in tarot, or a card of that suit.
- to create coins.
- to make up or invent, and establish
Etymology: From coigne "wedge, cornerstone, die for stamping," from cuneus "wedge." English quoin means "cornerstone."
- Over the last century the advance in science has led to many new words being coined.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for coin for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of coin