- A flat, normally rectangular piece of stiff paper, plastic etc. especially: one of a pack bearing numbers and symbols used in playing a variety of card games, e.g. a post card, a greeting card (Christmas, birthday etc.,) an identification card, a credit card, a business card, an index card, a baseball card or a warning card.
- (informal) An amusing but slightly foolish person.
- (context, rare, textiles) A device to raise the nap on a fabric.
- (context, rare, textiles) A machine for disentagling the fibres of wool prior to spinning.
- (Cricket) A tabular presentation of the key statistics of an innings or match:- batsman, batsmen's scores and how they were dismissed, extras, total score and bowling figures.
verb (cards, carding, carded)
- (horse racing) A listing of the runners and riders, together with colours and recent form, for all the races on a particular day at a particular racecourse
- To check IDs at a venue with a minimum age requirement
Etymology: From carte, from charta.
- They have to anybody who looks 30 or younger.
- (context, rare, textiles) To use the above device or machine.
- To scrape or tear someone's flesh using a metal comb, as a form of torture
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for card for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of card