noun (pl= brothers or (archaic) brethren)
- One"s male sibling.
- A male having at least one parent in common with another (see half-brother, stepbrother).
- A male fellow member of a religious community or church.
- Someone who is a peer, whether male or female.
- (transitive) To treat as a brother.
Etymology: broíor, brÅíor, from Germanic
- 1819, Seest thou not we are overreached, and that our proposed mode of communicating with our friends without has been disconcerted by this same motley gentleman thou art so fond to ? " Walter Scott, Ivanhoe
- brÅíÄr, from Indo-European
- bÊrÄter-. Cognates include Dutch broeder, German Bruder, and Danish & Swedish broder, all from the same Germanic root; and from Indo-European, Latin frater, Russian ÑÑ (brat), Greek (frater), Latvian brílis, Persian (fa-Arab, ) (barídar), Old Prussian brÄti, and Welsh brawd.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for brother for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of brother