noun (wikipedia, Blue, Blue (colour))
verb (blues, blueing or bluing, blued)
- (colorbox, blue) The colour of the clear sky or the deep sea, between green and violet in the visible spectrum, and one of the primary additive colours for transmitted light; the colour obtained by subtracting red and green from white light using magenta and cyan filters.
- (context, snooker) One of the colour balls used in snooker with a value of 5 points.
- (transitive) To make .
- (transitive) (context, Metallurgy) To treat the surface of steel so that it is passivated chemically and becomes more resistant to rust.
adjective (blu, er)
- See Wikipedia article on bluing steel: (w, bluing (steel))
- (intransitive) To turn .
- Of the colour blue.
- (colloquial)(nautical) depressed, Depressed, melancholic, sad. The phrase "feeling blue" was coined from a custom among old deepwater ships to fly blue flags or have a blue band painted along the hull if the vessel lost a captain or officers during a voyage.
- (colloquial)(context, entertainment) pornographic, Pornographic.
- (US, politics) Of states or other political entities, tending to vote for the Democratic Party.
- Many of the traditionally states are on the east and west coasts.
- Congress turned in the mid-term elections.
- (rfv-sense) (US, politics) Of or pertaining to the Democratic Party.
- a advertisement
- (astronomy) of the higher-frequency region of the part of the electromagnetic spectrum which is relevant in the specific observation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for blue for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of blue