- A Scottish and northern English surname for a bell ringer, bell maker, or from someone who lived "at the Bell (inn)"
- The Bell telephone company (after w:Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone.)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Bell for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Bell
- An object made of metal or other hard material, typically but not always in the shape of an inverted cup with a flared rim, which resonates when struck.
- (context, mostly, UK, informal) a telephone call
Etymology: (term, belle); cognate with Dutch (term, bel).
- I"ll give you a later.
- A signal at a school that tells the students when it's time to change classes during the day.
- (music) The flared end of a brass or woodwind instrument.
- The bellow or bay of certain animals, such as a hound on the hunt or a stag in rut.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bell for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bell