- (uncountable) The act of doing that which begins anything; commencement of an action, state, or space of time; entrance into being or upon a course; the first act, effort, or state of a succession of acts or states.
- That which is begun; a rudiment or element.
- That which begins or originates something; the first cause; origin; source.
- The initial portion of some extended thing.
- in the beginning of the story
- The house you want is down at the beginning of the street
- You must put etymology and a definition at the beginning of a Wiktionary entry
- (present participle of, begin)
- He is beginning to read a new book.
<!--these belong on the page for "begin"
- (informal) Of or relating to the first portion of some extended thing
Etymology: Verbal noun of (term, begin).
- in the beginning paragraph of the chapter
- in the beginning section of the course
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for beginning for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of beginning