- (context, generally) One who bears.
- Someone who helps carry the coffin or a dead body during a funeral procession.
- A domestic servant in India.
Etymology: From (term, bear).
- 1888, Rudyard Kipling, "Watches of the Night", Plain Tales from the Hills, Folio 2005, p. 60:
- :The bar of the watch-guard worked through the buttonhole, and the watch"Platte's watch"slid quietly on to the carpet; where the found it next morning and kept it.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bearer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bearer