- (grammar) In some Indo-European languages, a prefix e- (a- in Sanskrit) indicating a past tense of a verb.
- To increase, make larger or supplement.
Etymology: From augmenter.
- The money from renting out a spare room can a salary.
- (music) To slow the tempo or meter, e.g. for a dramatic or stately passage.
- (music) To increase an interval by a half step (chromatic semitone).
- (music) To increase the largest interval in a triad, especially a fifth or a sixth, by a half-step (chromatic semitone).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for augment for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of augment