- The act of becoming visible; appearance; visibility. --Milton.
Etymology: From (term, apparition, , lang=fr), from (term, apparitio, , lang=la), from (term, appareo, , lang=la).
- The sudden apparition of the Spaniards. --Prescott.
- The apparition of Lawyer Clippurse occasioned much speculation in that portion of the world. --Sir W. Scott.
- The thing appearing; a visible object; a form.
- Which apparition, it seems, was you. --Tatler.
- An unexpected, wonderful, or preternatural appearance; a ghost; a specter; a phantom. ``The heavenly bands . . . a glorious apparition.'' --Milton.
- I think it is the weakness of mine eyes That shapes this monstrous apparition. --Shak.
- (Astronomy) The first appearance of a star or other luminary after having been invisible or obscured;—opposed to occultation.
- Rock band, usually found in Dalgety Bay. "I saw Apparition last night, they rocked" -- Axl Rose.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for apparition for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of apparition