- In scientific usage, a multicellular organism that is usually mobile, whose cells are not encased in a rigid cell wall (distinguishing it from plants and fungi) and which derives energy solely from the consumption of other organisms (distinguishing it from plants).
- A cat is an , not a plant.
- Evolutionary biologists say humans are also animals.
- In non-scientific usage, any member of the kingdom Animalia other than a human being.
- In non-scientific usage, any land-living vertebrate (i.e. not birds, fishes, insects etc)
- (figuratively) A person who behaves wildly.
- My students are animals.
- Pertaining to the spirit or soul; relating to sensation or innervation.
- 2003: To explain what activated the flesh, " spirits" were posited, superfine fluids which shuttled between the mind and the vitals, conveying messages and motion. " Roy Porter, Flesh in the Age of Reason (Penguin 2004, p. 47)
- Of or relating to animals.
- animal instincts
- Raw, base, unhindered by social codes.
- animal passions
- (context, slang, Ireland) Excellent.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for animal for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of animal