- Prior to some specified time, either past, present, or future; by this time; previously.
Etymology: ( alredi = al + redi) All + ready.
- It was already dusk, and the lamps were just being lighted as we paced up and down in front of Briony Lodge, waiting for the coming of its occupant. —Doyle
- So soon.
- Are you quitting already?
- An intensifier used to emphasize impatience or express exasperation.
- I wish they'd finish already, so we can get going.
- Enough already! Be quiet already!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for already for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of already