- The act of allowing, granting, conceding, or admitting; authorization; permission; sanction; tolerance.
- Without the king's will or the state's allowance. --Shak.
- The censure of the which one must in your allowance overweigh a whole theater of others. --Shak.
- That which is allowed; a share or portion allotted or granted; a sum granted as a reimbursement, a bounty, or as appropriate for any purpose; a stated quantity, as of food or drink; hence, a limited quantity of meat and drink, when provisions fall short.
- I can give the boy a handsome allowance. --Thackeray.
- Abatement; deduction; the taking into account of mitigating circumstances; as, to make allowance for the inexperience of youth.
- After making the largest allowance for fraud. --Macaulay.
- (commercial) A customary deduction from the gross weight of goods, different in different countries, such as tare and tret.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for allowance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of allowance