- (uncountable) The state of being allied; the act of allying or uniting; a union or connection of interests between families, states, parties, etc., especially between families by marriage and states by compact, treaty, or league; as, matrimonial alliances; an alliance between church and state; an alliance between France and England.
- (countable) Any union resembling that of families or states; union by relationship in qualities; affinity.
Etymology: From aliance (French: French, alliance).
- The alliance of the principles of the world with those of the gospel. --C. J. Smith.
- The alliance . . . between logic and metaphysics. --Mansel.
- The persons or parties allied. --Udall.
- (countable) A treaty between nations for their mutual advantage
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for alliance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of alliance