verb (alights, alighting, alighted or alit)
- (intransitive) (with from) To spring down, get down, or descend, as from on horseback or from a carriage; to dismount; as , passengers alighting from the carriage.
- (intransitive) (with on) To ]]descend]] and settle, lodge, rest, or stop; as, a flying bird alights on a tree, snow alights on a roof.
- (intransitive) To come or chance (upon).
- lit, Lit; on fire, switched on.
- The sticks were damp and wouldn't catch alight.
- (figuratively) lit, Lit; on fire, burning.
- Her face was alight with happiness.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for alight for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of alight