- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
Etymology: afere, affere, afaire, affaire, from a faire to do; Latin ad- + facere to do. See Fact, and confer Ado.
- a difficult to manage
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- an of honor, i. e., a duel
- an of love, i. e., an intrigue.
- (military) An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- He used a hook-shaped with a long handle to unlock the car.
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de coeur.)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for affair for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of affair