- A person who is addicted, especially to a harmful drug
- An adherent or fan (of something)
- To cause someone to become addicted, especially to a harmful drug
- To involve oneself in something habitually, to the exclusion of almost anything else.
Etymology: addictus, past participle of addicere, to adjudge, to devote, from ad + dicere, to say; compare diction
- They themselves to the civil law. --Evelyn
- He is addicted to his study. --Beaumont & Fletcher
- That part of mankind that their minds to speculations. --Adventurer
- His genius addicted him to the study of antiquity. --Fuller
- A man gross ... and addicted to low company. --Macaulay
- (obsolete) To adapt; to make suitable; to fit.
- The land about is exceedingly addicted to wood, but the coldness of the place hinders the growth. --Evelyn
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for addict for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of addict