verb (accumulat, ing)
- (transitive) To heap up in a mass; to pile up; to collect or bring together; to amass.
- He wishes to a sum of money.
- (intransitive) To grow or increase in quantity or number; to increase greatly.
- Ill fares the land, to hastening ills a prey, Where wealth accumulates, and men decay. - Goldsmith
Etymology: From Latin accumulatus, past participle of accumulare, formed from ad- + cumulare "to heap".
- (rare) Collected; accumulated.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for accumulate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of accumulate