- (poetic) An acclamation; a shout of applause.
- (obsolete) A claim.
- (transitive) To shout; to call out.
- (intransitive) To shout approval; to express great approval.
- (transitive) (rare) To salute or praise with great approval; to compliment; to applaud; to welcome enthusiastically.
Etymology: From acclamare, formed from ad- + clamare "to cry out", "to shout".
- A glad acclaiming train. - Thomson
- (transitive) (obsolete) To claim.
- (transitive) To declare by acclamations.
- While the shouting crowd / Acclaims thee king of traitors. - Smollett
- (context, Canadian) To elect to an office by having no opposition..
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for acclaim for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of acclaim